I'm a pretty straight forward person. I'm fairly set in my beliefs, but I don't ridicule those who don't agree with me. For instance, I'm incredibly pro-life. However, I don't go around with giant pro-life signs, telling anyone who is pro-choice that they are wrong and going to hell. It isn't my place to tell anyone that they are destined for hell, because I am not the ultimate judger. God is.
I don't steal, I don't lie (although, I have been known to not express my opinions about something unless directly asked. For example, if someone posts a picture of their new horrible haircut on facebook, I'm not going to flat out say "Wow, that's hideous". However, if they ask me my opinion, I'll tell the truth- but remind them that they are the ones who have to live with it, not me). I don't commit adultery. I don't bear false witness, nor do I worship others Gods. I don't use the Lord's name in vain. I don't covet my neighbors stuff (although, I would like a mini-van, but that's neither here nor there).
With all that said, I am not perfect. Far from it.
My biggest character flaw- judging. I am a judger. I see a kid throwing a fit, and I immediately question why the mother is smiling and giving in to the child's fits. I see something I consider to be trashy (which considering something trashy is, in of itself, judging), and I judge. I am absolutely horrible about it. I never go as far as to judge someones heart, because only that person and God know what is going on there, but I judge so many other things. It is, by far, the most substantial thing I need to work on. And to be honest, I've actually come a long way in the last few months. For example, there was once a time when I judged homeless people. I would assume that they were choosing this lifestyle, or perhaps just not trying hard enough. Now, if I see them, I give them some cash (if I have any), or go buy them a meal at a drive thru, and immediately pray for them. The girls were with me one day when I did this, and they said "wow mama, we should pray for him". Seriously, it made my heart sing.
I'm not telling that story to get a pat on the back- I couldn't care less about that. I am telling it to hold myself accountable. There are situations that are beyond my control- situations that I may or may not like. Everyone has a story, no matter what kind of lifestyle they are living. As a Christian, it is my job to love them, to pray for them, and to recognize that it is difficult to judge someone else when you have just as much baggage as anyone.
So while people may make lifestyle choices that I don't agree with, and they may do stuff that makes me question whether they have a brain or not, it is simply not my place to judge them. It will not do them any good, nor will it do me any good. Not judging someone doesn't mean that I am agreeing with their choices or condoning them, it simply means that I am accepting that I am not in control of that particular situation, and it isn't my job. My job is to be a good wife, a good mother, and a good Christian woman.
It wont happen overnight. No Christian is perfect, and I know that I will continue to make mistakes. But I can control how I live my life, and constantly rolling my eyes at people is not a way to live.
****Lastly, not for one single minute have I ever thought I was better than ANYONE else. Even when I judge someone, I don't believe that I am better than them. I know for a fact that I'm not, and I am perfectly ok with that. I know there are others who are better than me, and again, I am perfectly ok with that as well. But I would not like being judged without others knowing my story, therefore I shouldn't do it to others. It is really hard to tell the kids to be mindful of other people's feelings when you get wrapped up in judging others.
So, if any haters are reading this, feel free to tell me how horrible I am for admitting my flaws. I would appreciate prayers more, but if you feel the need to put me down, so be it. I wont even judge you for it. Hopefully.
No comments:
Post a Comment