Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dear society- you suck.

I am trying to figure out when our world became so focused on ourselves, and less focused on others, or just being nice.

For instance, if I stop to hold a door open for someone, even when I'm juggling 3 kids, I don't expect a thank you. However, it would be nice to get one. Instead, someone looked at me, shook their head, and walked in. My kids weren't in the way, or screaming. In fact, they were helping me hold the door.

Of course, this made me head straight to the bathroom, because I needed to make sure I didn't have some sort of weird thing growing out of my shoulder, or have make up running down my face, or ketchup in my hair. In case you're interested, none of the above were apparent. I assume I got the head shake because of the amount of kids I have? I'm still not sure.

When I pulled in to the grocery store yesterday, I noticed that all of the parent parking was full on one side. As I stopped to let someone pull out of their spot, I noticed a middle aged woman getting out of her car, right after she had parked in the parent parking spot. She made eye contact with me, smiled, and looked at her car and shrugged, then continued in to the store.


Rather self explanatory, dontcha think?

Without a child. Nor was there a child waiting in the car.

Seriously? Where is common courtesy anymore? Yes, I get that I can park in other spots, but its nice to have that special parking when its 30 degrees outside, and you're trying to get kids in car seats and groceries in the car, not to mention putting the cart where it goes.

Which brings me to my next question- why on earth would you leave a cart behind someone's car? How does the "would I like this done to me?" question NOT go through your mind as you're doing this? They make these dandy little cart holders for a reason- utilize them!

I don't understand why we, as Americans, are stuck in a "me, me, me" attitude, and not being decent to others. When did the "love thy neighbor" commandment suddenly become obsolete? Its funny, because I see this more during the holiday season then any other time of the year. The time of year where we are supposed to be offering good will toward men, and people are giant grinch-asses.

Before any of the anon trolls come out of the wood work and decide to thrash me:

No, I don't think I deserve special treatment for having the spawns.
No, I don't do things nice to hear a "thank you" or get recognition.
No, I don't think someone having a bad day excuses their behavior towards others.

People wonder why other countries hate us so much (aside from Obama). Its because we are rude, plain and simple. Parents are failing their children daily because they don't teach them manners, or at least the importance of manners, so kids grow up to be self centered twats who think the world owes them something.

When someone does something for you, you say thank you.
When someone says thank you, you say you're welcome.
When someone tells you "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", "Good Day", etc, you say it back.
When you see someone struggling, whether it be emotionally or just with bags, you offer to help.
If you see something you can do to make someone's job/life/anything easier, you do it.

Its not rocket science. Its manners. Its being a decent human being, and its showing compassion and common courtesy.

Its sad that so few people have these basic traits anymore.


PS- While you're teaching manners, please teach your 8 year old boys that they shouldn't pee on trees while walking home from school, especially these days when sick little child-loving pervs run around. Plus, I really don't need to have that discussion with my 6 year old again.

No comments: